Saturday 7 May 2016

An open letter to my mother

This is a special Mother's Day. My oldest son will be 21 in a week. (How is it possible 21 years can pass so quickly?) Tiny feet and tiny hands - turned to feet so large, that shoes lying about become trip hazards and hands grown so dexterous to draw fine line architectural plans. I feel justifiable in saying that my husband and I have raised a lovely young man who is focussed on his studies, has a social conscience and cares about his family. 

If you were alive today I know you would be proud. You left this world far too young. Two o'clock stole you away from a hospital bed in a mining town when I was too young for you to explain what was happening to you. You left a husband bereft and inadequate to raise children. I was incredibly fortunate to have your youngest sister who could help raise your youngest. So today I think of you mom. I haven't had the privilege of hearing your words of wisdom or feel your embrace, but your sister had love for more than her own children and enough to teach me how to raise my own young ones. And for that, I am grateful.x

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful letter. Each, has their own special life story about who raises us. How sweet that you have a love for the two women that were sent just for you. Look how it prepared you to do the job for your son. You're vulnerability in sharing you open letter blessed me. :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura for your kind words. I do think my mum would be proud. I took my son back to Africa to meet my aunt again few years ago, so I know she is too x

    ReplyDelete